Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 3 -- Consulting

I started my day at 6 am today with my dear friend who lives over here. She and I always talk about curriculum and how to best nurture our kids for God's glory. It's such a great way to start a day here.

Since then, I have worked on getting all of the details together for the workshop that I will do this afternoon called 'Teaching Kindergarten through First Grade at Home: A Practical Approach. The workshop is very hands-on and gives a ton of information on what to teach when and how to do it very inexpensively with things that you can easily take from the States or get in obscure places like Estonia. It has been one of the most fun workshops that I have ever put together since we will actually do some of the fun activities together (we can act like little children for a little while). 

I have also met with a mom who has a 5th grader and a couple of younger ones. She is making decisions about what venue to use for education next year for her oldest child. They are planning for their children to attend American universities so want them to be prepared for that when it comes. Sounds easy, right? But it is quite a challenge for a student with a US passport to succeed in US university when he/she speaks, writes and reads perfectly in Albanian, but struggles with reading and writing in English (since they only get minimal education in the public system in English). So we discussed the different ways that their family could go about making the decision and all the factors to be considered. 

So now I am off to set up for this afternoon's workshop. Think popsicle sticks, feathers, beans, markers and construction paper. How fun is that?


No comments:

Post a Comment